ADDING KNOWLEDGE TO YOUR TALENT WILL KEEP ONE LONG IN THE SYSTEM- BESSA
SIMONS
Born Machida Bessa Simons, he developed interest in music
because it was a passion and a thing of the family. His father was a music
teacher. He played the organ, teaches hymns and how to read music, so he learnt
a lot from there. His siblings also played the organ in the house.
The Ghanaian highlife legend is born in Koforidua. He then
attended Methodist primary B school, then to Bakatsir when he was brought to
Cape Coast. He realized the difference in music as he started growing up. “Some
are played in the church, others play the drums and so on, I was influenced by
that and I chose a different version” he said. At Aggrey memorial AME Zion
where he had his secondary school education, he joined the band because he
finds it very easy and comfortable being around Music.
Bessa Simons revealed that he joined a band in town called
the Pericles. When on holidays he rehearses with them by playing the organ. He
got to know more he was able to write music and he was able to teach the
band. Being in the music industry for
almost 36 years,His first album came out in the year 1990 with the song ‘Odo atsew wire’ on it. In all he has 5
albums in total
He also attended National Academy of music in Winneba to learn
more about music and he taught for a while. Machida added that one should add knowledge
to his/her talent in order for one to last long in the industry.
“Whatever you do in
this world, if it is your talent you should get a little knowledge and add to
it. Because a musician is someone who understands music and if you only use your
talent one might get stuck at some point. You can’t be able to bring changes
and variety for people to appreciate what you do.” He explained
As a board member at Ghana Music Rights Organization,
(GHAMRO), he explained that lack of royalties at their time of making music was
a challenge because they couldn’t get the money they were supposed to get for
making music. Also people not understanding the concept of highlife was another
challenge.
In reply to what he said that he will be a gutter cleaner
when he was a child, he said he admired a man who cleaned the gutters with
passion. “I remember one time when my uncle asked me what I will do when I grow
up and I told him I will clean the gutter.” He said.
Bessa Simons as we popularly know him has five children, one
boy and four girls.
No comments:
Post a Comment