omega GE tv Tue, Apr 22, 10:57 PM (4 days ago) to pakay
LISTEN LIVE

Saturday, 28 November 2015

MORE ABOUT J.A ADOFO, A HIGH LIFE LEGEND


                              MORE ABOUT J.A ADOFO, A HIGH LIFE LEGEND

Born on Tuesday, he is called Kwabena Adofo and he was given a Christian name, Jackson Alfred after being baptized in the Presbyterian Church. He adopted the name Black Chinese as a nickname when his friends visited him and upon seeing his children who had Chinese look they gave him that name.
The highlife legend completed his education in 1968 at Obo Presbyterian middle school. The gift of singing is descended from his father. He was a leader of “konkoma”, an old Music group of the elders. He was a chorister in the Presbyterian Church. Nana Ampadu inspired him as a role model. Then he also began his music career.

“In 1970, I came to Accra and stayed at a place called kowoako, there Nana Gyei Nyame and Peter Okai had their practice. IT was close to where I stay. Nana eyi Gyei Nyame sweeps where they have the practice himself, he fetches water himself. I took the responsibility myself and swept the place, fetch water and he sends me as well to get food for him. He asked me one day after two weeks why I do all that for him. I told him my vision and he took me to Nana Safo a music producer, he tested me the same day, realizing I have a good voice he took me to the studio and made my music for me. Since then I became a great musician in Ghana” he said.

J.A Adofo made it clear that his challenge has been when he became sick for almost 2 years. People even thought he was even dead. He also had a couple of car accidents which made him release the song “mempe bone”. On skery spark talk at yes102.9 fm, he was asked why he didn’t do gospel music; he said that they missed it with the highlife.

He added that his music career will end when God decides. He has 9 children, three are outside Ghana and the rest are with him.
J. A Adofo advised that we should appreciate our own rather than to adapt the culture of the west. He agreed with Ben Brako that highlife is not fading away because people still learn the guitar and before anyone can play it well they have to learn how to play the tune of the high life songs “Yaa Amponsah”, Kwaw and so on.

He also explained the reason why news is circulating that he can stop rain.
“It is a gift given to me by God , I was given some psalms to recite when I see that it is going to rain so that we can have a successful concert when we visit places.” he said.

No comments:

Post a Comment